Todd Sloan was called to the bar in 1987. He has worked in Ontario Legal Clinics, for the Ontario Ombudsman and, until his retirement in April, 2010 for the Government of Canada.
His legal clinic duties provided considerable experience in immigration and refugee law.
His federal government functions included:
- Investigator and General Counsel with the Correctional Investigator of Canada (the prison ombudsman)
- Investigator with the Information Commissioner of Canada
- Director of Access to Information and Privacy with the Correctional Service of Canada (CSC)
- Director of Offender Redress with CSC
- Founding national chair of the CSC Employment Equity and diversity Committee
Todd practices law in Ottawa and Kingston, assisting clients with legal problems related to prisons and parole, refugee claims, visas, family re-unification,acquiring government information and protecting personal information under government control.